Looking for shelter, clothing, housing or food?
Get help now

Women’s Transition To Housing

Women’s Transition To Housing

Women’s Transition to Housing is designed to prevent one-time shelter users from becoming chronic/long-term users by providing privacy, safety and all the supports necessary to quickly re-house women within a span of 12 months. Women’s mental health, life and employment skills quickly deteriorate the longer they remain in emergency shelters.

Women who have been homeless for less than one year receive support to find housing, employment and independent lives.

Women’s Transition to Housing

Through this rapid re-housing program, women who have been homeless for less than one year receive support for up to a year to find housing, employment and establish independent lives. If they are mobile, independent and motivated to move into permanent housing with support from Fred Victor staff, they readily find their way out of homelessness. The Women’s Transition to Housing program is connected to CAMH and the Sherbourne Health Centre.

In response to occupancy pressure in the shelter system, Fred Victor was selected by the City of Toronto to operate a 37-bed Women’s Transition to Housing Program for homeless women on Dundas Street East.

Mary Sheffield House

Fred Victor’s Mary Sheffield House provides older women who are leaving the shelter system with a year of supported, transitional housing. Some women experience complex physical and mental health, developmental and/or substance-use difficulties.

Fred Victor’s Geriatric case manager coordinates the care of the seniors by planning for appropriate permanent housing and coordinating PSWs/OT/ and access to long term care to residents who need help with daily living and personal care.

Each of the 25 units serves as a foundation for someone who is ready to begin rebuilding their lives. The goal is for older women, after having faced the challenges of social isolation, homelessness and poverty, to find the help they need to move to permanent housing or long-term care housing.