Fred Victor is the lead agency in this agency referral network for people with both mental illness and substance addiction in the City of Toronto. Concurrent Disorders Support Services (CDSS) offers a high-degree of support to its clients by helping them fast-track and navigate the system.
Eligibility for CDSS is by referral from a medical practitioner or community-based agency that is working with an individual. Although CDSS encourages referrals through clients’ pre-existing service providers, CDSS also works with people who are new to the system.
The CDSS partnership serves clients who are concurrent:
- Has, or are suspected of having a substance use disorder
- Has, or are suspected of having at least one other psychiatric disorder
And who are experiencing at least three of the following further complexities:
- Homeless (or precariously housed)
- Actively psychotic
- Polysubstance use (3 or more, excluding nicotine)
- Dual diagnosis OR ABI OR dementia OR apparent cognitive impairment
- Between ages of 16-24 years OR 65+ years
- Limited daily functioning (self-care, meals, money management, housekeeping, mobility, transportation, medication management)
- Transitioning from a more supportive environment (ex. hospital, residential treatment, jail) or out of child welfare
- Women who are pregnant or parenting young children
- Recent suicide attempt OR recent self-harm OR history of trauma OR involved in the criminal justice system
The client must also be inadequately served by their current support services.
Once accepted into the program, individuals are referred to a partner or external agency for a range of services, including case management, addiction medicine, psychiatric consultation, addiction stabilization, mental health counselling, housing access help and much more.
However, CDSS is not an emergency service. Hours are Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the referral and consent form here.
- Fax the application and consent form to (416) 364-8526. You will be contacted within two business days to discuss service needs.
For more information, email email@example.com or call (416) 364-8228 ext. 3365.